Wednesday, May 05, 2010

THE JURY DUTY SAGA



Okay, I'm bad. But I haven't always been bad.  Granted I always made a face when I got that ugly green and white summons telling me that I needed to spend a day down at the County Court House.  I never asked to postpone it, always went and arrived early.  I almost got chosen once, but asked to get excused and my request was  granted.

In my defense, our heads have been wrapped around moving since February, so when I got my Jury summons scheduled for March 2010, I thought the timing truly sucked.  My intensions were honorable, but somehow (for the first time in my life) I forgot all about jury duty day until about a week after the "J" day.

After about five minues of thought, I told my self "the heck with it", by the time they send me another notice I will probably be moved and it will be a non-issue.  Oh no... I get the "FAILURE TO APPEAR" notice that wasn't as nice as the first request.  Something along the lines of, "be there or be square", uh well, maybe not so nice.  On the kitchen counter it went while I took some time to deliberate what I was going to do.  Once again, you guessed it, I forgot about it until it was late again.

In the meantime, Brian got his anual jury summons. His intensions were to get an extension and then for sure we would be moved by the end of his extension period.  You know what they say about great minds thinking the same.  He also forget his until the day after he was supposed to call. 

We talked about it and over talked about it.  I decided to tell them that I had been in the process of moving and the notices had been lost in the shuffle.  I sent them an email with my new address and hoped for the best.  Today I got an email back letting me know that my name had been removed from this year's list and that I need to remember to put in a change of address at the DMV. 

Brian sent his info via snail mail and he is still in limbo.  I hope this doesn't come back and bite us in the butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment